Thursday, February 11, 2010

New Tricks for a New Puppy

Well, Mike and I have successfully taught Jake "come" and "sit." Of course he has to be in the moment in order to follow the orders, if he is wrapped up in his toys, food, sleeping, or water, he will not follow the commands. However, if we can get his attention and he knows we have something he wants (ie toy or treats), then he is the perfect student! Sometimes I think that Jake and I have similar characteristics in that way. I need pretty perfect accommodations in order to be the perfect student in my fullest capacity.

Jake has also become more comfortable with going on walks; in fact he whines and stares out the window longingly. I think it is just because he wants to see the giant water bowl or maybe he needs a certain amount of fresh air a day. We have come a long way from that first night when he could hardly walk. He still doesn’t like the leash much and is scared to go down the stairs, but we will work on it. I can see how it would look scary to a little pup.

If the vet gives us the go ahead tomorrow, we are venturing to dad’s this weekend so Jake can meet the family including Capri! Also, on Sunday we are going to go into Dallas so that Jake can play with Atticus (Alexandra’s dog) and Lucy (John’s dog). I really hope we get the go ahead from the vet because I want to socialize Jake and until he is completely vaccinated, I won’t be able to have him around dogs I don’t know. He likes smaller dogs but is scared of big dogs, which isn’t surprising. I wish that my friends had bigger dogs. HMM… Also at the vet tomorrow we are going to get the test that will tell us what breeds Jake is mixed with. We are really excited! If you haven’t told us what you think, then you need to hurry up and guess. So far we have had guesses of Siberian husky with these types… Border Collie, German Shepherd, Chow, Rottweiler, Lab, and Saint Bernard (I sure hope not). My guess is that he is Siberian Husky with Chow and German Shepherd. Mike’s is Siberian Husky with German Shepherd. That was my original guess but his face structure and ears look like Chow to me. We should know in about 3 weeks I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment