Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Three Best Minutes

I don't even mind getting up at 6:30 because I know for the approximate one and a half minutes down to the dog park and back I am going to get lots of kisses. Some people think that dogs aren't smart and don't know what is going on, but I believe that Jake knows Mike and I saved him and what we do every day just to have him with us. While he does not know all the details, I can tell he understands the 45 minutes that we spent waiting just to meet him, the $150 to adopt him, $600 on puppy supplies, $105 at the vet, and the hours of missed sleep we devote to make sure he is healthy and happy. I would trade all of that for just 3 minutes of kisses from Jake and do everyday. Anyone who has not experienced the love of a puppy, especially one like Jake, does not know this pure love that can change your perspective on life.

Jake has taken up walking in between my legs. I don't know if he feels safe there or if he is trying to play, but we struggled this morning to get around the park. I had to hold the leash out away from my body just to be able to walk without falling over myself and him. I hope this phase goes quickly, however I take this new tendency over the waking up in the middle of the night one that he did not do last night. He slept straight from 11:30pm to 6:30am when my alarm went off and woke us both up. He did pee in his crate when he woke up, but I kind of expected that. Other than that, as of 3pm today he has only had one accident in the apartment because we could not get to him fast enough after he woke up from a nap.

We met a couple more dogs and people yesterday and today. Mike met a lady who is the dog coordinator at the apartment (not an official title). She told him that the apartment doesn't care what the size dogs are, they just say they do (good for us). She also said that everyone with dogs knows each other at the apartment and they take care of each other so if we ever need someone to watch Jake, she can help us (this is good too). I have seen a guy and his dog a couple times now and he always asks how Jake is doing and if he is walking on the leash better. I like the camaraderie between people with dogs here. It sure makes us want to stay in the complex. We will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment